Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Solitude Takes Discipline

Henri Nouwen is one of my favorite writers. I have read a few books by him; The Genesee Diary, Turn My Mourning Into Dancing and The Inner Voice of Love. I find his books quietly hopeful, as well as full of grace. I've found a phrase he wrote very helpful to remember when I take my alone time down at "our" coffee shop; "solitude takes discipline". When I find myself sitting there with my hot chocolate and journal it is easy for me to get up and check my e-mails on the coffee shop's computer or read a magazine. I do find however that I get a lot more out of the experience if I encourage myself to go deeper, to write in my journal. It does take discipline. (Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy the times I do choose to chill out and read a mag and sip a latte!)

2 comments:

terri said...

sometimes i really wonder about the body of Christ, and how it sometimes seems like something larger and connected is going on between members who are seemingly very separate. i've been hearing a lot about solitude lately...it seems like maybe God is moving us all in a common direction. i know for a mom of small children, solitude does not come easy. i'm praying you get all you need and more.

Annie's Porch said...

Terri-Thanks for the prayers, I appreciate it! ;0)