Monday, April 20, 2009

Those Dreaded Developmental Reviews!

Those reviews make me SO mad. We are having one for Ian tomorrow, the whole troop of therapists will be here, ugh! Don't get me wrong is SO appreciate what they do for our little guy, I just feel like Ian is a monkey on display at the zoo or something. Now, about those reviews, why on earth do they compare Ian to standards that he will NEVER meet? It's SO frustrating. Ok, sure, it is good to see where he is in occasional reference to typical kids, but let's judge him on a scale that is set up for him, aka kids with Ds. I told Ian's teacher about the Ds developmental chart and she said she'd look into it, but I haven't heard a word about it since. Wish me luck tomorrow. I hope I can hold my anger back!

6 comments:

tekeal said...

good luck. i hope you can remember to breathe... and to be the bull appropriately if necessary...

Chris said...

never say never.

We went through reviews a few months ago--some of the things John couldn't do then, he can do now.

They also didn't test certain things---like how he can recognize letters. We will be out shopping and all of sudden John will start making the sounds of letters, I'll look around and sure enough is naming the letters that appear on a sign in the store. Not something you would expect from a 2 year old with Down syndrome huh?

Good luck, and remember these reviews are used to see which areas they need to focus on more than others.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes, dearie!

Jeffrey Goble said...

I know I keep saying it, but hang in there. There will come a time when you can tell the group, "Hey, we're gonna focus on where Ian is, and what he's doing well, and where we're going next." Now, there's a whole spectrum out there, and my Emma hits low on some of them, high on others. When it comes down to it, the comparisons mean little to anyone, anymore, unless it enables something that helps.
Deep Breaths. Long view. Go for a short drive and scream at the radio. You can do this.

Jeffrey Goble said...

So, how'd it go?

Annie's Porch said...

Elbog-I SO appreciate all of your encouragement,as well as your wisdom. Thank you!